
The history of the Arrouit company has been reconstructed on the basis of available sources (primarily French archival records, exhibition catalogues, and patent documentation, including FranceArchives, catalogues of the Exposition Universelle of 1878, Gallica BnF, Bottin/commercial directories, patent databases, and auction/collection references). However, information about the company remains extremely scarce.
Arrouit appears to have been a small Parisian workshop that existed for a relatively short period (circa 1878, or more broadly within the 1870s). Its founder was Léon Arrouit, likely a maker of precision instruments (fabricant d’instruments de précision), specializing in meteorological devices. No biographical data on the founder, nor dates of foundation or closure, successors, or continuation of the business after 1878, have been identified.
The workshop was located at 45, rue de l’Orillon, Paris. It produced aneroid and metallic barometers (baromètres anéroïdes et métalliques), as well as thermometers. The metallic barometers were based on the Bourdon tube principle, invented by Eugène Bourdon in 1849, the patent for which expired around the late 1860s–early 1870s. The form of the sector gear in Bourdon-type barometers produced by Arrouit clearly indicates a period after the expiration of Bourdon’s patent, yet before 1876.
The earliest reliably documented trace of Arrouit is a patent application dated 10 January 1865, entitled “Perfectionnements apportés aux baromètres, thermomètres, etc.”. In the FranceArchives record, the applicant is listed simply as ARROUIT, with the address Paris, 45 rue Saint-Sébastien, patent no. 65798, granted for 15 years; the patent agent was Jules Mathieu. This is a significant point: by early 1865, Arrouit was not merely trading instruments but positioning himself as an innovator contributing technical improvements to barometers and thermometers.
The next firmly established milestone is a second patent, filed on 19 March 1878, titled “Genre de baromètre métallique”, patent no. 123296, again for a term of 15 years. The address is now Paris, 95 boulevard Beaumarchais, and the patent agent is Charles Thirion. This indicates that between 1865 and 1878 the workshop or firm remained active and likely relocated or expanded its premises. The patent title itself confirms a specialization in metallic barometers, a field that saw significant development in the third quarter of the 19th century.
By 1878, the firm had entered the public stage. In the records of the Exposition Universelle de Paris 1878, the entry reads: “Arrouit (Léon), 45 rue de l’Orillon, Paris”, listing products as “baromètres anéroïdes et métalliques” and noting a bronze medal award. An agent in Sydney is also mentioned, which is particularly noteworthy: it suggests that the firm was not purely local but was attempting to engage with export markets.
As noted in the official report of the 1878 Exhibition, in the section on aneroid barometers (Lacroix, Eugène, Études sur l’Exposition de 1878, p. 463): “The aneroid barometers were carefully arranged in a single aisle, allowing one to observe in succession the instruments of Messrs. Perillat, Arrouit, Reclus, Hüe, etc. Almost everywhere, the ribbed box-type construction is adopted, with little or no modification.”
Following the Paris exhibition, the name Arrouit appears in Australia. In documents relating to the Sydney International Exhibition of 1879, “Arrouit, Leon, Paris” is listed among the exhibitors. In materials from the Melbourne International Exhibition of 1880, as well as in reports on awards, Arrouit is recorded as a participant in the class of measuring instruments; a newspaper account notes that “Arrouit, Paris, aneroids” received a “2nd, highly commended” distinction, while other listings identify the firm as a manufacturer of barometers, thermometers, and hydrometers. This confirms that the company was not ephemeral, but participated in a sequence of international exhibitions in the late 1870s and early 1880s.
From this evidence, the nature of the enterprise can be cautiously reconstructed. Arrouit was not merely a retailer of instruments produced by others but, most likely, a manufacturer or at least an assembling constructor of its own range of instruments. This is supported by the existence of patents, exhibition activity, and catalogue descriptions, where the firm is not described as a marchand (dealer), but is directly associated with instruments—barometers, thermometers, and hydrometers. In other words, Arrouit appears to have been a small Parisian firm operating within the circle of manufacturers of meteorological and precision instruments, positioned between a craft workshop and an export-oriented enterprise.
No evidence has been found of any personal acquaintance with Eugène Bourdon (1808–1884), nor of any contractual relationship, licensing agreement, or sustained collaboration. It is possible that Arrouit simply made use of the Bourdon tube design once it had entered the public domain following the expiration of the patent. In available sources, Arrouit appears only as an independent patent applicant and as an exhibition participant.
Arrouit operated precisely within the technical niche that emerged around metallic and aneroid barometers following the widespread adoption of Bourdon-type instruments. He was one of a second generation of Parisian manufacturers working in the field of metallic barometers, where the influence of the Bourdon tradition is evident, though no direct personal link can currently be documented.
A known identifying mark of the firm is its stamp: “AR” in a diamond-shaped cartouche, executed in a cursive script, which can be found on its instruments.
Thus, Arrouit can be defined as a genuine Parisian firm/workshop, primarily associated with Léon Arrouit, active at least from 1865 to the early 1880s, specializing in metallic and aneroid barometers, as well as thermometers and hydrometers, possessing its own patents and participating in international exhibitions.